Still Playing and Recommended:
- The Taking of Tiger Mountain (d. Tsui Hark) A respectful war drama with electrifying battle scenes set in 1946. Cinemark Legacy. More here.
- Birdman (d. Alejandro González Iñárritu) Michael Keaton is often breathtaking as a former movie star trying to rebuild his life and career by staging a Broadway production. Beyond the very good performances by Keaton, Edward Norton, Emma Stone, and Naomi Watts, the long-take acrobatics soon begin to pale and distract. Still, it’s a must-see for its nearly-realized ambition. The Magnolia.
Also still playing
- Foxcatcher (d. Bennett Miller) In this true-life story, Steve Carrell stars a wealthy yet troubled benefactor of U.S. wrestlers in the late 1980s. The static drama provides little insight into the main characters, and avoids any pointed commentary of interest. With Channing Tatum and Mark Ruffalo. Angelika Dallas.
- The Imitation Game (d. Morten Tyldum) Benedict Cumberbatch stars as a brilliant mathematician who is charged with developing a system to decrypt Nazi messages during World War II in this standard-issue bio-pic. With Keira Knightley, Charles Dance, and Mark Strong. The Magnolia.
- Unbroken (d. Angelina Jolie) An overly-ambitious, ultimately empty big-screen adaptation of a biographical bestseller, focusing on the tribulations of former Olympic athlete Louis Zamperini, who survived 47 days at sea after his plane crashed during World War II, only to face more horrors at a Japanese POW camp. Jack O’Donnell gives a career-defining performance. Angelika Dallas.
- Wild (d. Jean-Marc Vallee) Reese Witherspoon gives a heroic performance in an adaptation of a bestselling memoir about a woman who walks 1,000 miles so she can reevaluate her life. Angelika Dallas.