A fabulous selection of titles to choose from — or choose them all! — beginning tonight (Wednesday, October 23). Here’s a quick guide to what’s what:
- Wed: ‘Strange Brew.’ Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas in a Canadian tale of mounties, hosers, and beer. (Alamo Drafthouse) Screens 10/23 only.
- Wed: ‘Night of the Demons.’ Gnarly old-school horror in 1988. (Alamo Drafthouse) Screens 10/23 only; projected from VHS; only $1!
- Thu: ‘E.T. The Extra Terrestrial.’ An alien comes to Earth, is strangely attracted to young boy. (Alamo Drafthouse) Screens 10/24 only.
- Fri-Sun: ‘Oldboy.’ Park Chan-wook’s harsh revenge tale is an ugly, magnificently disturbing drama. See it before Spike Lee’s new version opens in late November. (The Texas Theatre) Screens 10/25-27.
- Fri-Thu: ‘The Wicker Man: The Final Cut.’ Edward Woodward, Christopher Lee, and Britt Ekland star in a classic tale of pagan practices vs. Christian teachings in an isolated community. Directed by Robin Hady; this version is said to restore footage cut from the original edition and thought to have been lost. (Angelika Dallas) Screens 10/25-31.
- Sun: ‘Dracula.’ Todd Browning’s influential version of Bram Stoker’s night-stalking legend. (Alamo Drafthouse) Screens 10/27 only.
- Mon: ‘Blood-C: The Last Dark.’ Violent revenge anime. (Alamo Drafthouse) Screens 10/28 only; free with RSVP!
- Tue: ‘Hocus Pocus.’ Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker and Kathy Najimy as evil witches. (Alamo Drafthouse) Screens 10/29 only.
- Tue: ‘Varsity Blues.’ The MTV version of high school sex and football. With James Van Der Beek, Scott Caan, Amy Smart, Ali Larter, and a whipped-cream bikini. (Alamo Drafthouse) Screens 10/29 only.