A handful of indies are opening locally today; truly, something for everyone:
- ‘Headhunters.‘ Slick, clever, thoroughly engaging thriller from Norway follows a corporate recruiter who moonlights as an art thief. Things get complicated fast when he attempts to recruit / steal from a target (above) who has an eye on his beautiful wife (also above). This is my pick of the weekend. (Angelika Dallas.) My thoughts at Twitch. Highly recommended.
- ‘Bernie.’ Jack Black stars as an assistant funeral director in a small town in Texas who comes under suspicion when a wealthy widow goes missing. Richard Linklater’s comedy also stars Shirley MacLaine and Matthew McConaughey. (Landmark Inwood, Angelika Plano.) Not previewed.
- ‘Sound of My Voice.’ Brit Marling (‘Another Earth’), who co-wrote, plays a cult leader in what’s been described as a quiet science-fictional drama. (Angelika Dallas, Angelika Plano.) Not previewed.
- ‘The Ballad of Genesis and Lady Jaye.’ Documentary about the strange ways of love pursued by two musical pioneers and performance artists. (Angelika Dallas.) Not previewed.
- ‘The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.’ A group of British retirees decide to spend their golden years at a resort in India. With Judi Dench, Bill Nighy, Maggie Smith; directed by John Madden. (Angelika Dallas.) Not previewed.
- ‘The Avengers.’ Joss Whedon puts his own jocular spin on ‘Earth’s Mightiest Heroes in a movie that will likely please all fanboys and most audiences. My review. Recommended.