Weekend in D/FW is a weekly feature that corrals all the films that are opening, along with special screenings and events.
Plan ahead! Saturday and Sunday look like rain days in the Metroplex, so where better to curl up with a friend than in a warm movie theater? Here are my top 5 picks for the weekend.
- ‘White Material.’ Set in war-torn Africa, Isabelle Huppert stars as a woman fighting to save her plantation from civil unrest. Claire Denis directs. (Angelika Dallas)
- ‘Lemmy: The Movie.’ For the Motorhead in all of us. Documentary on the colorful lead singer and hard-core rocker. (Texas Theatre)
- ‘Night Catches Us.’ Set in strife-torn Philadelphia, 1976. Anthony Mackie and Kerry Washington star as a couple dealing with his past involvment in the Black Panther movement. Tanya Hamilton directs. Friday through Sunday only. (Texas Theatre)
- ‘The Green Hornet.’ Seth Rogen, Jay Chou, and a sleek automobile called Black Beauty star in an action-comedy directed by Michel Gondry. (Multiplexes everywhere.)
- ‘The Dilemma.’ Ron Howard directs Vince Vaughn, Kevin James, Winona Ryder, and Jennifer Connelly in a comedy. (Multiplexes everywhere.)
Special screenings: ‘Army of Darkness.’ Sam Raimi battles villains in Sam Raimi’s comedy. Friday and Saturday, Midnight only. (Landmark Inwood) ‘Mr. Hulot’s Holiday.’ Priceless Jacques Tati comedy. One screening only, Saturday 2:00 p.m. (Texas Theatre) ‘
Continuing in limited engagements: ‘Blue Valentine,’ ‘Casino Jack,’ ‘Somewhere.’ (Landmark Magnolia) ‘I Love You Philip Morris,’ ‘Rabbit Hole,’ ‘127 Hours.’ (Angelika Dallas) ‘Rabbit Hole.’ (Angelika Plano) ‘Blue Valentine,’ ‘Casino Jack.’ (Cinemark West Plano) ‘Blue Valentine.,’ ‘127 Hours.’ (AMC Grapevine Mills)
Look for my review of ‘The Dilemma’ coming tomorrow. I’ll make this post “sticky” and keep it at the top through the weekend for easy reference.